2017/02/08

Gofunai temples 34 and 35

[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM TOP . ]
. Gofunai 御府内八十八ヶ所霊場 88 Henro Temples in Edo .
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Nr. 34 - Sannenji 三念寺 Sannen-Ji

- 醫王山 / 薬王山 Yakuozan 遍照院 Henjo-In 三念寺 Sannen-Ji
文京区本郷2-15-6 / 2 Chome-15-6 Hongō, Bunkyō ward
Shingon Sect : 豊山派


The temple looks like a modern two-story building.

This temple was founded in 1472 by Saint 品隆上人.
The main statue is 薬師如来 Yakushi Nyorai, made by 慈覺大師 / 慈覚大師 Jigaku Daishi. The priest 恵心僧都原信 Eshin Sozu Genshin (942 - 1017) kept it to pray for the healing of his mother.

Above the entrance is a large name plate with the letters 薬王山 Yakuozan.


The place of its foundation was at the slope 三念坂 / 三年坂 Sannenzaka, refering to a slope with three temples.
It was moved to its present location in 1603.
Nearby was the estate of the Daimyo 小笠原壱岐守 Ogawawara Iki no Kami Nagamichi (1862 – 1868).
In the compound were many graves of famous people, but after the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923 they were moved to 多摩墓地 Tama Graveyard.

.......................................................................

- ご詠歌 - chant of the temple 種間寺 Tanemadera, Tanemaji in Shikoku :
世の中にまける五穀のたねま寺 深き如来の大悲なりけり
Yo no naka ni makeru gokoku no Tanemadera fukaki Nyorai no daihi narikeri


. 種間寺 Tanema-Ji / Shikoku .

.......................................................................

- 朱印 - stamp of the temple :


- Homepage of the temple
- source : tesshow.jp/bunkyo


. Introduction of Yakushi Nyorai .

.......................................................................



..............................................................................................................................................

- - - - - #heianhistory - - - - -

. Ennin - Jigaku Daishi 慈覚大師 - (794 – 864) .

.......................................................................

Genshin - 恵心僧都原信 Eshin Sozu Genshin (942 - 1017)

- quote -
Genshin 源信 (942 – July 6, 1017), also known as Eshin Sozu,
was the most influential of a number of Tendai scholars active during the tenth and eleventh centuries in Japan. He was not a wandering evangelist as Kūya was, but was an elite cleric who espoused a doctrine of devotion to Amida Buddha which taught that because Japan was thought to have entered mappō, the "degenerate age" of the "latter law," the only hope for salvation lay in the reliance on the power of Amitabha. Other doctrines, he claimed, could not aid an individual because they depended on "self-power" (jiriki), which cannot prevail during the chaos of the degenerate age, when the power of another (tariki) is necessary.
In his approach to rebirth in the Pure Land, Genshin emphasized visual meditation practices, where later Pure Land sects favored verbal recitations such as the nembutsu. Genshin's doctrine is documented in his magnum opus, the Ōjōyōshū (往生要集 "Essentials of Birth in the Pure Land"), which in later copies of the text came complete with graphic depictions of the joy of the blessed and the suffering of those doomed to chaos.



Genshin's influence in contemporary Japanese culture today is primarily due to his treatise, Ōjōyōshū, particularly the graphic descriptions of the Buddhist hell realms (地獄 jigoku), which inspired a genre of horror and morality stories. The 1960 Japanese film Jigoku was influenced by Genshin's Ōjōyōshū among other works.
In Jodo Shinshu Buddhism, he is considered the Sixth Patriarch.
Genshin
is credited as the founder of the Enshin school of Tendai Buddhism, and for espousing the "original enlightenment" teaching, or hongaku (本覚), where one is originally enlightened, but unaware of it. In all, Genshin left more than 30 works which continue to influence Pure Land thought today.
The image of Amida Nyorai
in the main building of Yasaka-ji Temple in Shikoku is said to have been made by Genshin in the Heian Period.
- - - More in the WIKIPEDIA !



. The Heian Period 平安時代 Heian jidai (794 - 1185) .
- Introduction -


::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


Nr. 35 - Konshooin 根生院 Konsho-In

-  金剛賓山 Kongohozan 根生院 Konsho-In 延寿寺 Enju-Ji
豊島区高田1-34-6 / 1 Chome-34-6 Takada, Toshima ward
Shingon Sect : 豊山派



This temple was founded in 1636 by 春日局の猶子榮春法印 the adopted child of Kasuga no Tsubone, Priest Eishun (Shigeharu) and was under the protection as a special temple of the Tokugawa Shogunate 幕府の祈願所.
The main statue is 薬師如来 Yakushi Nyorai made by 仏師春日 the Buddhist sculptor Kasuga.

The temple was first built in 神田白壁町 Kanda, Shirakabecho.
In 1654 it was moved to 下谷長者町 Shitaya Chojamachi.
In 1688 it was relocated to 本郷切通坂 Hongo Kiritoshizaka.
In 1690 it was allocated more land by 将軍綱吉 Shogun Tsunayoshi.
In 1889 it was relocated to 上野池端七軒町 Ueno Ikenohata Shichikenmachi
In 1902/03 it was relocated to 徳川田安候旧邸 the estate of the Tokugawa Tayasu clan.
In 1945 during the war it burned down and all buildings except the main gate were lost.



The present-day main building is from 2002, with a large glass front.

......................................................................

- ご詠歌 - chant of the temple 清滝寺 Kiyotaki-Ji in Shikoku :
澄む水を汲めば心の清滝寺 波の花散る岩の羽衣
Sumu mizu o kumeba kokoro no Kiyotakiji nami no hana chiru iwa no hagoromo


. 清瀧寺 / 清滝寺 Kiyotaki-Ji / Shikoku .
Iozan 医王山 Mountain of the Medicine Deity

.......................................................................

- 朱印 - stamp of the temple :



- Homepage of the temple
- source : tesshow.jp/toshima


Since 1687 this temple belongs to the 江戸四ヶ寺 "four important temples of Edo" of the sect
新義真言宗 Shingi Shingon-Shu:
青蓮寺 Shoren-Ji (Nr. 19) - the first one
根生院 Konjo-In (Nr. 35) // 真福寺 Shinpuku-Ji (Nr. 67) // 弥勒寺 Miroku-Ji (Nr. 46)


......................................................................



..............................................................................................................................................

- - - - - #edohistory - - - - -

. Lady Kasuga 春日局 Kasuga no Tsubone (1579 – 1643) .

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

- reference : 御府内八十八 三念寺 -
- reference : 御府内八十八 根生院 -

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

- Koya San in Wakayama 和歌山 高野山 -

- Kobo Daishi Kukai 弘法大師 空海 (774 - 835) -

. Gyoki Bosatsu 行基菩薩 (668 - 749) Saint Gyōki .

. Shikoku Henro Temple List 四国遍路  .

. Gofunai 御府内八十八ヶ所霊場 Pilgrimage to 88 Henro Temples in Edo .
- Introduction -

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::



. Join the Updates of Facebook ! .

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

. Japan - Shrines and Temples - ABC .

. Welcome to Edo 江戸 ! – The Edopedia .

[ . BACK to DARUMA MUSEUM . TOP . ]
[ . BACK to WORLDKIGO . TOP . ]
- - - - - @edopilgrims #edohenro #sannenji #konshoin #kasuga - - - - -
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

No comments: